Katie began taking antidepressants after a traumatic attack in her neighborhood one night—Shortly after, she began turning to alcohol.
Find out how becoming sober curious led her to a new alcohol-free beginning which enabled her to begin dealing with some deep generational trauma.
LIVE Alcohol Experiment
If you do not know about the alcohol experiment, you need to literally drop everything right now and go to livealcoholexperiment.com. This 30 day challenge is designed to interrupt your patterns and put you back in touch with the best version of you. You’ll know it’s that version that’s living the most joyful life. That version that doesn’t need alcohol to relax or have a good time. Again, it’s a 30 day challenge. It’s live. The new experiment is starting on the 1st join us today at livealcoholexperiment.com!
And as always, rate, review, and subscribe to this podcast as it truly helps the message reach somebody who might need to hear it today.
Start reading This Naked Mind for free today!
Highlights of Antidepressants and Alcohol – Katie’s Story
Katie discovered a variety of coping strategies as a child to deal with alcohol abuse dynamics at home. Check out the details of her journey.
- Alcohol abuse was in Katie’s family’s story for generations
- She disguised her childhood emotions by staying busy with school
- In college, an eating disorder was her coping mechanism for social anxiety
- Katie decided to drop out of her educational studies
- She moved home to Alaska and found a new group of drinking friends
- Katie moved to Seattle and drank more; felt like a 20 year old without a plan
- She entered grad school in Chicago and worked at boarding school
- One night, she was attacked by a serial rapist one night and seeked out counseling for the aftereffects
- Her therapist prescribed antidepressants and Katie was faced with a desire to drink
- Daily drinking seemed to make sadness worse – Became sober curious
- Read This Naked Mind all in one night – Discovered science behind substance and mindset
- Focus shifted – Began dealing with deep generational trauma that she had suppressed
- Grateful for now being present in each moment and the new joys she feels everyday being alcohol-free
Listen to the entire podcast to hear Annie and Katie discuss how the first step to emotional health is to stop numbing.